Thursday, October 25, 2012

The challenge of finding 50 songs that I liked in 2012.

This weekend the clocks will be going back an hour, taking us into the darkness of winter and that phase where the clock starts to tick relentlessly down to the end of the year.  It's also the season when this blogger turns to thoughts of ....compiling my annual chart.  Once upon a time on this blog, the biggest problem with doing the annual top 50 was deciding what to leave out.  But five years is a long time in music, and over the past couple of years I've got so disillusioned with it all.  I still believe that there is good music out there, you just have to look for it.  But even that is such an exhausting, time-consuming task.

It's taken me a couple of years to put my music collection onto iTunes - and I've still got a long way to go yet - but during that time I've been rediscovering the long-forgotten riches, rarities and obscure oldies of my music collection, many of which turned up on Retro Saturday in the past. 

Turning away from new music has made it much harder to reflect what's going on in the present, which accounts for the lack of topical music-related posts/album reviews etc on this blog.  However, with an eye on the calendar I notice that exactly three weeks from today, my annual top 50 countdown will begin.  I'm going to start shortlisting it from this weekend: hopefully it won't be too short a list!!  There will be the odd little 'technicality'a.k.a. 'bending the rules' along the way of course, as the qualifying period will include songs which were maybe released outwith the UK in 2011 but not released here till 2012, also songs released in December 2011 which missed out on last year's countdown will be eligible. 

Anyway I'm going to focus on this little journey of discovery through 2012's musical delights over the next couple of weeks so once again there won't be too many blog posts during that time, apart from a couple of outstanding ones which I've got planned over the next few days. 

No comments: