Sunday, April 15, 2012

Eurovision 2012: Semi-Final 2, Part 1

Serbia: "Nije Ljubav Svar" - Zeljko Joksimovic.  One of the big ballads of this year, and although as you know I'm not a ballad fan, this has grown on me after a few listens although it gets terribly overcooked towards the end.  An absolute qualifier from the 'semi-final of death' and a guaranteed top 5 place in the final. 

FYR Macedonia: "Crno i Belo" - Kaliopi.  It's all a bit too tortured for me to be honest, but they drop the beat in halfway through and it makes it remotely interesting but nothing more.  Might pick up a few Balkan stray votes but can't see it qualifying.

Netherlands: "You and Me" - Joan Franka.  Dare I say, be very afraid?  For some bizarre reason it reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhyyRByuJ0
feel free to agree or disagree with me :)  In a very tight semi-final this could be a surprise qualifier.

Malta: "This Is The Night" - Kurt Calleja.  This is in the style of the Swedish dance-pop-boys, and the middle 8 even recalls that of "Amazing" - although it doesn't really explode, on first listen it is rather nice and listenable and probably better than most of the (by now forgettable) songs in semi-final 1.

Belarus: "We Are The Heroes" - Litesound.  Someone should really do a mash-up of this and Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" :)  Another song which appealed to me on first listen, he is very cute but I wonder if they will wear those awful outfits in Baku?  It wouldn't be the first time at ESC that bad styling killed a good act/good song.

The final part of my Eurovision preview will be published here on Saturday 21st April.

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

I really really wish Belarus had been in the rubbish first semi where they might have stood a slighly bigger chance.But I'm so happy that Litesound finally get to do ESC,even though I did prefer Do You Believe in 2008 :)

I sort of want Zeljko to go away now.I thought he was a good host a couple of years back,and Oro was very good,but I do find him a tiny bit smug.Kasper Juul is King of the Ballads this year.

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

As usual you're spot on.

Arise Sir Kasper, King of the Ballads :))) And how many other ESC contestants this year have the great man's versatility? Snoop Doggy Dogg one minute, big emotional ballad the next!