Thursday, November 19, 2009

The 2009-50: introduction and criteria

OK so here we are, it's that time again, when I count down my 50 favourite songs of the year. Before I start, just a brief word on the criteria for selection:


  • Most of the songs were released in 2009, although there is as usual that little grey area where I've featured a couple of songs which, although technically released in 2008, didn't reach my ears until 2009.

  • There are also those songs which were released in the post-2008-50 period and made it into the 'ones that got away' list at the end of last year, therefore just missed out on this year's list: main casualty being Christian Walz.

  • Only songs which have been commercially released this year are eligible, which rules out unreleased tracks: that's why Salem Al Fakir's as yet unreleased "Brooklyn Sun", despite being one of my favourite and most played songs of the year, is omitted (watch out for that one next year though....)

So here we go....

1 comment:

Poster Girl said...

Yay! I love your countdown. Two great choices so far, both songs I had a lot of fun with this year. It really would have been nice to have David Guetta get a few American radio hits of his own (as opposed to just "I Gotta Feeling" for the BEPs) this year, but that's what iPods are for, I guess :)