Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Some thoughts...(MF-related)

Now that the MF 2009 songs are all in the public domain, as it were, I got to thinking just how many of these I will actually continue to play after the contest is over.

Verdict: not many, as it turns out.

So what's on my list?

"Stay The Night"
"Jag Tror På Oss" (don't laugh!!)
"Hope and Glory"
"Tick Tock" (I really like this now, more than I thought I would)
"1000 Miles"
"The Queen"
"Baby Goodbye"
"Higher"

Oh well I suppose 8 out of 32's not that bad....and you may ask where's "You're Not Alone", but I don't really think it's up there with the BWO greats and I can't see it getting out of Andra Chansen.

Anyway what's with the mania about "La Voix"? I know people are fed up with the same old song representing Sverige year after year, but this just isn't doing it for me at all. I can't really get the hysteria over "Love Love Love" either, it's ok but doesn't really hit the heights you'd expect it to.

I'll post my Andra Chansen predictions later in the week.

5 comments:

Raquelita said...

I don't get Love Love Love either,it's really nothing out of the ordinary.Not so great that it should have gone to the final anyway- she did get to the final didn't she?Last weekend was the first bit of Melodifestivalen I've ever watched so I don't really understand the whole voting thing...

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Yes the voting's a bit of a mess isn't it. Up till this year it just used to be that the two songs with the most votes went directly to the final, then the 3rd and 4th songs went to Andra Chansen. Now they've got these stupid duels every week. Andra Chansen this weekend will be just one duel after another (yawn) it's hard enough to follow it all if you know how it works, so I can imagine how hard it must be if you're watching it for the first time.

Yes Agnes got to the final: how she made it I still don't know.

Keira said...

I agree with most of your top songs. Good taste, I'm even liking Jag Tror På Oss too, which is way too schalger for my usual tastes, but I'll make the exception this time.
I'd probably replace The Queen and Tick Tock with Welcome To My Life and La Voix though.

I've not really followed MF ever before either, but seem to be quite into it this year. Shame I'll miss the final.
I got quite excited when I mention Måns to my colleague and she said she'd seen him on 'some singing show' at her boyfriends parents (Swedish speakers) a few weekends ago. I don't think she quite understood the hugeness of MF, but was glad that Måns made an impression on her enough to remember his name!

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Yes I like "Welcome To My Life" too, that will probably on my list too - sorry for the oversight!

And the more people we can convert to Måns fans, the better!! I'm really loving "Hope and Glory" now. It came on my iPod on the way to work this morning and I had to stop myself from bouncing and punching the air (!) which I'm sure would have made an, um, interesting sight for the other people in the street this morning.

Keira said...

Hehe, I had a moment like that at work yesterday. The people in my lab are so quiet and I just have my ipod on all the time. After a while I go into my own little world and completely forgot where I was. All I can remember is doing a bit of a shoulder shimmy before coming to my senses. Luckily I havent started singing yet... Well, at least not until I'm sure everyone has left!