Saturday, March 15, 2008

Melodifestivalen: my predictions for tonight.

Only an hour to go and I'm getting so excited!!

I'm quite happy with the final line-up (apart from the dire Christer joke-song), although I'd have been happier if Ola had made the final, but at least the final is Carola-free and that can only be a good thing.

I know lots of other people out there are doing predictions for tonight, so here are mine.

10th place - "I Love Europe" - Christer Sjogren.
Too many joke entries at ESC this year already, and I can confidently predict (ha ha ha) that this will be at the bottom of the scoreboard tonight.

9th place - "Upp O Hoppa" - Frida & Headline.
I quite liked this when it qualified however I think they will lack the sufficient fanbase to get a result tonight and the occasion might just be too big for them.

8th place - "Thank You" - Amy Diamond.
Another early qualifier whose novelty has now worn off although she will still have a few fans out there, but not enough to get her above 8th place.

7th place - "I Lågornas Sken" - Nordman.
Now I like this but again there are too many stronger entries tonight and this will probably be too, um, "Swedish" to do better, I can't see it pulling off a Roger Pontare-style shock win.

6th place - "Just A Minute" - Rongedal.
My second favourite song of the contest (behind BWO of course) and will pick up a few votes thanks to the boys' enthusiasm and professionalism, but still visually offputting.

5th place - "Hur Svårt Kan Det Va" - Linda Bengtzing.
This song probably turned me into a Linda fan. Again her enthusiasm will translate into votes, however there are too many other schlager-divas tonight who will steal votes from her.

4th place - "That Is Where I'll Go" - Sibel.
Not a favourite of mine I admit (and she kept Ola out of the final, boooo) but she does have a good voice. Poor draw position though - and performing after Charlotte may either inspire or destroy her.

3rd place - "Lay Your Love On Me" - BWO.
Just like Alcazar, it seems that BWO are destined never to win Melodifestivalen. If it was up to me....oh well it's not, and I'll just have to live with that fact. This is utterly poptastic but I can't really see it getting a better result tonight. Good draw position though!

2nd place - "Empty Room" - Sanna Nielsen.
Schlager-diva who always gives it her all, this will get the 'Sarah Dawn Finer result' this year, i.e. a ballad among the uptempo numbers. This is a real challenger, although I've never really been a fan of hers but credit where it's due, she does this rather well.

And the winner will be....

"Hero" - Charlotte Perrelli. Well what else can I say, this screamed 'WINNER' from the first time I heard it and it still does. She is a very strong, professional performer and this has all the ingredients for a Melodifestivalen winner. And it will win tonight. Absolutely.

No comments: