Wednesday, December 26, 2007

2007-50: the ones that got away

I've been enjoying all the end-of-year countdowns over the last few days: (special mentions to Pop Unlimited/Work Your Magic/Poster Girl) and having recently completed my own countdown I was just thinking about a few of the songs which narrowly missed out on my top 50 of the year so I reckon they deserve their own little moment of glory:

Bonafied Lovin' - Chromeo: This came into my life too late for inclusion in my countdown, otherwise a definite top 10 contender. Funky and fabulous.
Valerie - Mark Ronson featuring Amy Winehouse: Ronson turned the Zutons' tune into a party anthem. This is how a cover version should be done. (Watch and learn, eh, Westlife???)
Apologize - Timbaland featuring OneRepublic: Unfortunately, OneRepublic's album "Dreaming Out Loud" failed to live up to the greatness of this track, one of my favourites of the past 2 months.
Handle Me - Robyn: Once I got over the shock of hearing that this and not "Be Mine!" would be the follow-up to "With Every Heartbeat", I actually rather liked this track. Just the right amount of quirky weirdness.
Tell Me - Salem Al Fakir: narrowly missed the chart purely because I didn't want overkill. One of the more soul-influenced tracks on the album, and shows off his brilliant piano playing.
Bejbi - Snook: I love Snook's album and could have chosen three or four songs for this list but this really nice hip-hop-ballad had the edge. Nothing to do with Salem singing the chorus (in Swedish!) of course :-)
Lovestoned - Justin Timberlake: I still think he's the best at what he does and he would seem to be one of the few genuine pop superstars around. Nothing particularly original about this, I just like it.
Dimmi Perche - Nyco: A young Frenchman singing in Italian: now if that's not a candidate for a mention on EuropeCrazy then I don't know what is. Very good catchy pop song from earlier this year.
Wanna Love U Girl - Robin Thicke: I don't really like him that much, but this Timberlake-ish song was the exception to the rule.
Behind The Cow - Scooter: Typical Scooter fare, does what it says on the tin. You shouldn't like the usual play-loud/guess-the-sample/formula techno which you expect from them, but, deep down, you know you want to.

No comments: