Saturday, October 06, 2007

Hall of Fame: October 2007

Another month brings another artist into our Hall of Fame. This month's featured artist is due to release a greatest hits compilation, "e2" this autumn so what better time than to feature Eros Ramazzotti.

He's an Italian singer/songwriter whose fame has gone beyond his country's borders. Eros came to my attention in 1996 when his "Dove c'e Musica" album was out. Back in those days MTV featured European artists and his "Piu Bella Cosa" video was on the channel regularly.

Fast forward to 1997 and whilst on holiday I bought his "Eros" CD which was his first greatest hits compilation. This album featured a new interpretation of one of his biggest hits "Cose Della Vita/Can't Stop Thinking Of You" in a duet with Tina Turner. Eros duetted on subsequent albums with Cher and Anastacia, and his forthcoming single will feature Ricky Martin.

Since that 1997 compilation, Eros has released a live album and DVD (I've got the DVD, recorded in Rome, very good) and three studio albums "Stilelibero", "9" and "Calma Apparente". If I'm honest, I haven't liked the last two albums as much as "Stilelibero", but I still enjoy his music. Eros' music has wide appeal and he has a worldwide fan base. And how many times have you visited an Italian restaurant and his music has been playing in the background? (Just last week, as it happens, in my favourite local Italian restaurant whilst out for my birthday meal!).

Coming soon: my Eros Ramazzotti playlist.

No comments: